Friday, October 3, 2008

Unexpected trip to the doctor...

Good grief. So it's Friday, I come to work, I'm sitting here at my desk and I notice that the right side of my lower lip is tingling...after a few minutes my cheek started tingling and then it starts becoming numb-what the heck?! If any of you know me and my hypocondriac-ism, you know that I was freaking out. So I call Dr. Maddox and have to leave a message (of course), and then I call my family doctor and tell them my symptoms and they want to see me right away...great.
I call my mom for some motherly support- no answer. I call Chad and he says that it might be a face cramp- what??!
I tell my boss, I leave, and Chad meets me at the Doctor.
Long story short, they draw blood, take blood pressure, everything looks fine...but she says that I have symptoms of Bells Palsy. Apparently it can come from a viral infection that does something to your facial nerve. She said since I am pregnant I have high levels of cortozone and that may keep it from getting any worse, but it could get worse. The medication they would normally give someone I cannot have since I am pregnant, so I have to take 1 baby aspirin a day instead. From what I know about Bells Palsy, it can cause temporary partial facial paralysis, and there are different severities of it. I am praying that mine doesn't get much worse! I had a friend in college that had it, and his lasted for a couple of months and then went away. The doctor said if I notice my eye or lip starts drooping to call her.
I did, however, look some things up on the internet (also, if you know me this will come to no surprise to you) and found a few things that said Bells Palsy can occur in pregnant women within the last 3 months of their pregnancy.
My family Dr. is going to call my obstetrician and talk it over with her and if they think I need to do anything else they will call me. I was also glad that Chad was able to go with me, he was a huge help with keeping my mind off it..
So, there is my unexpected trip to the doctor story...I am back at work, a little relieved and glad it is Friday :)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

So, I don't have any experience with this but I will give you some encouragement. There is nothing wrong with Carter, that is the most important thing. Think about all the pregnancy induced conditions that are out there, gestational diabetes, hypertention, preeclampsia, these all go away. This is scary but have faith God will take care of you and Carter. I will pray this will go away. God wants you to trust him with your pregnancy. The devil also knows what you struggle with and he will try and attack you and make your faith in God weaken. Don't let him win!
Love you!


Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."