Monday, June 13, 2011

A sneak peek...

Almost 6 months in the making, we have finally put this boy in his big boy room!  It is still a work in progress (decorating wise), so I am only giving a sneak peek until it is completely done.  I guess I forgot that it is a lot of work and $$ to re-do a room!  Despite the our fears, he did WONDERFUL his first night in a big bed.  He is so thrilled about his new room and is in love with it.  I must say, I did get a little misty eyed taking that crib down, but once it was out of the room I was over it and excited to get the new furniture in.  We bought an old dresser off Craig's List for $25.  It needed re-finishing, so we sanded it down and painted it black.  The handles on the dresser were pretty old, but we liked the look of them with the black paint, so we decided to keep them.  Here is a look at the finished dresser:



As for the bed, we were able to find someone that was getting rid of the same platform bed that we wanted to buy from Big Lots.  The only problem was, it was white...so we painted it black to match the dresser.  It has 2 great storage drawers in the bed...love!  Here is a finished picture of the bed with his new comforter.  Excuse the wrinkles, it is fresh out of the bag :)




Here is the color inspiration for his room...2 canvases I painted a few months back.  These 2 lovelies hang at the head of little man's bed.  As soon as he saw them he started naming all the colors, "bloos, geen, orangey!" HA.  I love the big canvas, it was probably the most challenging thing I have ever painted, and I am quite surprised it turned out so well.  Unfortunately, I didn't come up with the idea for the painting myself...I found one online that is similar and I tried my best to freehand it.

Next up, I created Carter his very own cork board.  I bought the initial letters at Michaels, and that is also where I found the four 12' by 12' cork panels for $12.99.  I painted the letters the same blue paint found in his canvases, and I sponge painted the orange polka dots around the edges.  I had an old sponge paint brush in my craft box, so I just ripped it off the handle and cut me a nice circle and went to town : )
I laid the four peices of cork on the floor and hot glued the letters in the middle to hold them together.  I found the giant green push pins at Wal-Mart for only $3!  Now I can start hanging his creations.



 We had this shelf already hanging in his nursery for his diaper bags. The plan was to go ahead and take it down, and it would go with the nursery furniture for the next little one. Well, the screws were stripped out and we couldn't get it off the wall, so plan B was put into action and we painted it to match the furniture. I am really glad we did because we can hang coats and his bookbags on it. All we have on it for now is books and a 'C' painted black. I am planning on decorating this a lot more, so I will have to repost pictures soon.

The room is not finished, so I will have to re-post when I have decorated everything (which won't be too long because I can't stand and unfinished project).  But here are some pictures below of Carter enjoying his new room!
 Looking at his canvases



 Jumping!


Practicing "night, night"
(How ugly is that safety rail, right? Luckily its easily removable.)

 #1


 Reading before bed


 Right before bedtime the first night


1 comment:

Laura said...

I love it Kim! You did great! And I can't wait to see more!
Love the cork board idea. I bought some of those for P's room and never ended up using them. They are perfect for a kid space. He looks so cute in his big boy bed!