A couple of weeks ago I realized that our yard was FULL of leaves and I had just gotten a cute shirt made for Carter, so I decided to take some fall pictures. I ended up getting some really good pictures made of him, and even a couple I could blow up to give to the grandparents to frame.
Taking pictures of an almost 2 year old is a different experience than last year. Our mobility status has changed quite a bit so it pretty much ends up being me chasing Carter around our yard with a camera. I took about 80 shots and ended up with about 15 good ones and 3 framable ones. Not too bad for a free sitting fee (I didn't charge myself), and $10 to print at Sam's.
On to the point of this post...as I was following Carter around the yard letting him do as he pleased (pretty much), I realized that this picture taking session was much like our walk with Christ. We, being the child, and Christ being the parent. I followed Carter all around the back yard, letting him run and walk as he pleased, jump up on rocks and play with sticks as I closely stayed behind. I got such joy from watching him be who he is...
There were moments when he would come across a hole in our yard and stumble into it, unable to get out himself, he would reach up that little hand for some help. Warmed that he asked for my help, I would gladly reach out my hand to his. I helped him down steps, over rocks, around the fence, and in the flowerbeds.
I followed close behind him as I saw him running for the ditch in our back yard, which is lined with huge rocks. I scooped him up just before he got to them and pointed him in another direction. Then it hit me...the symbolism in parenting, that is. I realized that our backyard was much like life, filled with different paths, dangers, and uncertainty. And my relationship with Carter was much like Christ's relationship with us. Staying close behind us, guiding us in the right direction, keeping us close and saving us from danger. I thought to myself about how this symbolism was no coincidence but an absolute intentional approach Christ took to show me just a tid bit of how much He really loves me. It was like He was saying "Kim, you see how much you love Carter, long the best for him, strive to keep him safe and on the right path? Well that is exactly what I do for you."
A few days later, in my Bible study I came across this verse, which I love.
"The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.” Zephaniah 3:16-18
I love that two of the most important relationships we have on earth, marriage and children, are symbolism of Christ and his love for us. What a wonderful God we serve, that He makes every effort to display his love for us. How could we worship any other?
1 comment:
This post made me tear up a little. I love this comparison, and love that Carter is such a vibrant and loving child. :)
Post a Comment