Wednesday, February 11, 2009

1 Month Check up...

Carter had his 1 month check up today and he is a whopping 9lbs. 11oz. and 23 inches long!
Just to give you and idea, when he was born he was 7lbs. 4oz. and 20 inches long...good grief!
He is close to out-growing his cousin Avery who is 8 weeks older than him...he is all boy!

Also, on this visit he got one shot and they pricked his heel to do the PKU test. It was pitiful. When they pricked him, it took him just a second to realize that it hurt and then he screamed! But he didn't mind the prick as much as the squeezing of the foot to get the blood out.
For the shot he did the worst scream of all, it's what I call "the silent scream", which is where they are crying so hard that no sound comes out of their mouth, their face turns blood red and then all of a sudden they take a breath and start whaling. It broke my heart! But once it was over he sucked on his paci as fast as he could and then he was fine :)

Dr. Webster was awesome, as usual. She said his growth and weight gain looked good and she said that he was a very handsome little man and had great color and complexion (sp?) :)
She asked if we had any questions and my answer was "OH yeah". Basically we told her about how he has been screaming bloody murder whenever he takes a bottle and it has been getting progressively worse over the past week. I told her that I was at my wits end this morning and I broke out a sample of Similac Sensitive (we had been on Similac Advanced-a non-sensitive formula), and when I gave him his bottle I didn't know if it was a coincidence, but he didn't fuss during or after the bottle, and he went right to sleep. She said she was pretty sure he didn't have an extreme case of reflux, and that it was basically a tummy ache due to gas. She told us we could start him on the sensitive brand or the soy (which is Isomil). We said that we would probably start him on which ever one they had at Sam's. Right after the appointment we went to Sam's and they only had the Isomil, so that is what we bought. When we got home, I gave him his first bottle of Soy milk (which stinks horribly by the way) and he was so relaxed when he was taking it that he kept falling asleep. Normally he is kicking, arching his back, and straightening out his legs, so I will take a sleepy baby over that! He did wonderful and he is still asleep right now at 9:15 pm and he took his bottle at 5:45- Praise Jesus!

That was about the extent of the appointment. We go back in a month and he will get 4 shots and an oral vaccine. I told Chad that he is going with me to that one too! He will definitely be taking some Tyelenol before that fun little trip. Chad didn't seem to mind going though, he is very attentive to little Carter. He calls multiple times a day to check up on us and see how he is doing. He is pretty protective...I thought I would be the only one worried about germs in the Doctor's office, but he is as bad as me! The other day he even asked me if he needed to Germ-x his hands...and let me tell you, before we had Carter I couldn't even get him to touch a Germ-x bottle! He has turned out to be a great Dad- I mean not that I didn't think he would be, but you know what I mean!

Oh, and I had my Doctor appointment this morning. Everything went well, my incision is healing perfectly. The only sad thing is that I found out my doctor that delivered Carter is leaving in May and moving out of state to be closer to her family : (
So she won't be delivering any more of my babies. So sad! She is an amazing doctor.

I think I am going to try to take some pictures of Carter here at the house tomorrow if he cooperates, so I will post them if they turn out cute.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Wait until they prick his finger at 6 months. It was worse than the heel prick. I'm glad the soy formula is working for you guys! Having a fussy baby who doesn't sleep is no fun.